From Andreas Kostyrka <andr...@kostyrka.org>
Subject Re: Bean Scripting Framework?
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:06:45 GMT
On Thursday 24 July 2008 23:24:19 Lincoln Ritter wrote:
> > Why not use jruby?
>
> Indeed!  I'm basically working from the JRuby wiki page on Java
> integration (http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/Java_Integration).  I'm taking
> this one step at a time and, while I would love tighter integration,
> the recommended way is through the scripting frameworks.
>
> Right now, I most interested in taking some baby steps before going
> more general.  I welcome any and all feedback/suggestions.  Especially
> if you have tried this.  I will post any results if there is interest,
> but mostly I am trying to accomplish a pretty small task and am not
> yet thinking about a more general solution.

Guess I won't be a big resource for you then, the only thing that I did was
implementing a tar program with Jython that creates/extracts from/to HDFS.

It was painful, but not to painful, and it's not Jythons fault, it's just that
using these clunky interfaces/classes is painful to a Python developer. Guess
the same feeling will come from Ruby developers.

(and that's not a problem of Hadoop, I think that most Java APIs feel clunky
to people used to more powerful languages. :-P)

Andreas