From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hadoop on Solaris
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:47:47 GMT
Satoshi YAMADA wrote:
>> >From hadoop doc, only Linux and Windows are supported platforms. Is
>> it possible to run
>> hadoop on Solaris? Is hadoop implemented in pure java? What kinds of
>> problems are there in
>> order to port to Solaris? Thanks in advance.
>
> hi,
>
> no one seems to reply to the previous "hadoop on Solaris" Thread.
>
> I just tried running hadoop on Solaris 5.10 and somehow got error message.
> If you can give some advices, I would appreciate it. (single operation
> seems to
> work).

You are probably the first person trying this. This means you have more
work, but it gives you an opportunity to contribute code back into the
next release.

I'd recommend you check out the trunk and try building it and running
the tests on solaris. Then when the tests fail, you can file bug reports
(with stack traces) against specific tests. Then -possibly- other people
might pick up and fix the problems, or you can fix them one by one,
submitting patches to the bugreps as you go.

I'm sure the Hadoop team would be happy to have Solaris support, its
just a matter of whoever has the need sitting down to do it.

-steve