From Enis Soztutar <enis.soz.nu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How long is Hadoop full unit test suit expected to run?
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:26:25 GMT

Lukas Vlcek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How long is Hadoop full unit test suit expected to run?
> How do you go about running Hadoop tests? I found that it can take hours for
> [ant test] target to run which does not seem to be very efficient for
> development.
> Is there anything I can do to speed up tests (like running Hadoop in a real
> cluster)?

Hi,

Yes, ant test can take up to an hour. On my machine it completes in less
than an hour. Previously work has been done to reduce the time that
tests take, but some of the tests take a long time by nature such as
testing dfs balance, etc.
There is an issue to implement ant test-core as a mapred job so that it
can be submitted to a cluster. That would help a lot.
> Say I would like to fix a bug in Hadoop in ABC.java. Is it OK if I execute
> just ABCTest.java (if available) for the development phase before the patch
> is attached to JIRA ticket? I don't expect the answer to this question is
> positive but I can not think of better workaround for now...

This very much depends on the patch. If you are "convinced" by running
TestABC, that the patch would be OK, then you can go ahead and submit
patch to hudson for QA testing. However, since the resources at Hudson
is limited, please do not use it for "regular" tests. As a side note,
please run ant test-patch to check your patch.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/CodeReviewChecklist

Enis