From lohit <lohit...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: confusing about decommission in HDFS
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:42:27 GMT
The 3 steps you mentioned, were they done while namenode was still running?
I think (I might be wrong as well), that the config is read only once, when the namenode is
started. So, you should have defined dfs.hosts.exclude file before hand.
When you want to refresh, you just updated the file already defined in the config and call
refresh. And this relates to namenode config. Is it possible to test it by defining it in
config, restarting it and then trying to decomission the nodes?
If you are still seeing issues, would it be possible to open a JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa)
describing steps to reproduce it.

PS: Even if it works, feel free to open JIRA for better documentation. I could not find one
in HDFS User Guide.
Thanks,
Lohit

----- Original Message ----
From: Xiangna Li <li.xiangna@gmail.com>
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2008 8:54:07 AM
Subject: confusing about decommission in HDFS

hi,

    I try to decommission a node by the following the steps:
      (1) write the hostname of decommission node in a file as the exclude file.
      (2) let the exclude file be specified as a configuration
parameter  dfs.hosts.exclude.
      (3) run "bin/hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes".

     It is surprising that the node is found both in the "Live
Datanodes" list with "In Service" status, and also in the "Dead
Datanodes" lists of the dfs namenode web ui. I copy GB-files to the
HDFS to confirm whether it is in Service, and the result is that its
Used size is increasing as others. So could say the decommission
feature don't work ?

     the more strange thing, I put some nodes in the include file and
then add the configuration and then"refreshNodes", but these nodes and
the exclude node are all only in the "Dead Datanodes" lists. Is it a
bug?

    Sincerely for your reply!