From Lev Givon <...@columbia.edu>
Subject login error while running hadoop on MacOSX 10.5.*
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:29:26 GMT
I recently installed hadoop 0.17.0 in pseudo-distributed mode on a
MacOSX 10.5.3 system with software managed by Fink installed in /sw. I
configured hadoop to use the stock Java 1.5.0_13 installation in
/Library/Java/Home. When I attempted to run a simple map/reduce job
off of the dfs after starting up the daemons, the job failed with the
following Java error (501 is the ID of the user used to start the
hadoop daemons and run the map/reduce job):

javax.security.auth.login.LoginException: Login failed:
/sw/bin/whoami: cannot find name for user ID 501

What might be causing this to occur? Manually running /sw/bin/whoami
as the user in question returns the corresponding username.

							L.G.