From Chris Collins <ch...@scoutlabs.com>
Subject Re: client connect as different username?
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:10:20 GMT
Thanks Nicolas, I read it yet again (ok, only the third time).  Yes it
talks of whoami, I actually knew that from single stepping the client
too, I was still stuck.  It mentioned the posix model, kinda guessed
that also from the javadocs.  From Dougs note it clearly states that
"No foo account need to exist on the namenode" and that the only
exception is the user that started the server.  I didnt get that
clarity from the perms doc.  Perhaps an example for the case where
there are users other than that that started the server....I would of
thought this was a common one.  In our office we dumped this on a
bunch of linux boxes that all share the same username, but all our
developers are using macs with their own user name and they dont
expect to have their own user on the linux boxes (cause we are lazy
that way).

For instance, that all it requires is for me to create the ability for
say a mac user with login of bob to access things under /bob is for me
to go in as the super user and do something like:

hadoop dfs -mkdir /bob
hadoop dfs -chown bob /bob

where bob literally doesnt exist on the hdfs box and was not mentioned
prior to those two commands.