From Alvin AuYoung <alv...@cs.ucsd.edu>
Subject Re: Hadoop-On-Demand (HOD) newbie: question and curious about user experience
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 20:19:55 GMT
Hi Vinod,

thanks a lot for the reply. The updated description answers a lot of my
questions -- I apologize for not finding it earlier.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Vinod KV wrote:

> On a first note, can you please tell which documentation you are looking at.
> 'Coz hod interface is cleaned up and -o option is part of old interface. You
> can find the latest HOD documentation at
> http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.16.3/hod.html

Oops. For some reason I was looking at the documentation for the 0.16.0 release,
which had that -o option:

http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.16.0/hod.html

> Hod interface lets you tell how many nodes nodes you want, and not the actual
> nodes. HOD obtains the list of nodes and thus gets its components (hodring
> and ringmaster) running by talking to a resource manager, torque
> (http://www.clusterresources.com/pages/products/torque-resource-manager.php)
> being the only one that hod works with currently.

So, it seems like HOD already supports the more sophisticated torque schedulers
like Maui, since the user can specify particular options like wallclock time
(which primarily seems useful for backfilling and such). Is this correct?

> Your last point is right, each user can have his own HOD virtual cluster(s),
> with each cluster tied to a cluster directory that (s)he owns.
>
> Please look here for a sample HOD session
> (http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.16.3/hod_user_guide.html#A+typical+HOD+session).
>
> HTH
>
> -vinod

Yes, this certainly helped a lot. Thanks!

- Alvin