From "Arv Mistry" <...@projectrialto.com>
Subject Hadoop Resiliency
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 19:04:56 GMT

Hi folks,

I'm new to hadoop and just had a few questions regards resiliency

i) Does hadoop support redundant NameNodes? I didn't see any mention of
it.

ii) In a distributed setup, when you kill a DataNode, should the
NameNode restart it automatically? I see the NameNode detects
(eventually) that its down but it never seems to restart it. Is the
expectation that some kind of wrapper (e.g. Java Service Wrapper) will
do this.

iii) Maybe an obvious one, but I couldn't see how you just start a
DataNode from the scripts. Should I create my own script to do that,
based on start_dfs?

Cheers Arv