From Akshar <akshar.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ipc.Client: Retrying connect to server: localhost/127.0.0.1:50000
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 16:49:45 GMT
Are you just trying to get this running for the first time?

To format a new distributed filesystem you can use:
$ bin/hadoop namenode -format

As it says in the docs:
*You need to do this the first time you set up a Hadoop installation.
Do notformat a running Hadoop filesystem, this will cause all your
data to be
erased. Before formatting, ensure that the dfs.name.dir directory exists. If
you just used the default, then mkdir -p /tmp/hadoop-username/dfs/name will
create the directory. To format the filesystem (which simply initializes the
directory specified by the dfs.name.dir variable).** *