From Brian Vargas <br...@ardvaark.net>
Subject Re: Handling Large Number Of Files, Fastest Way
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 02:54:49 GMT
Hi,

You can realize a huge improvement by sticking them into a sequence
file.  With lots of small files, name lookups against the name node will
be a big bottleneck.

One easy approach is making the key be a Text of the filename that was
loaded in, and the value be a BytesWritable, which is the contents of
the file.  Since they're relatively small files (or you wouldn't be
having this problem), you won't have to worry about OOMing yourself.  It
worked really well for me, dealing with a few hundred thousand ~4MB files.

Brian