From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: One-node cluster with DFS on Debian
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 09:49:31 GMT
Richard Crowley wrote:
> Problem fixed.  My machine's /etc/hostname file came without a
> fully-qualified domain name.  Why does Hadoop (or perhaps just
> java.net.InetAddress) rely on reverse DNS lookups?
> Richard

Jave networking is a mess. There are some implicit assumptions "welll
managed network, static IPs, static proxy settings" that dont apply
everywhere...it takes testing on home boxes to bring these problems up,
like mine

"regression: Sf daemon longer works on my home machine due to networking

If I look at our code to fix this, we handled failure by falling back to
something else

             try {
                 //this can still do a network reverse DNS lookup, and
hence fail
                 hostInetAddress = InetAddress.getLocalHost();
             } catch (UnknownHostException e) {
                 //no, nothing there either
                 hostInetAddress = InetAddress.getByName(null);

View raw message