From Nate Carlson <natec...@natecarlson.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop performance on EC2?
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:10:50 GMT
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Ted Dziuba wrote:
> I have seen EC2 be slower than a comparable system in development, but
> not by the factors that you're experiencing.  One thing about EC2 that
> has concerned me - you are not guaranteed that your "/mnt" disk is an
> uncontested spindle. Early on, this was the case, but Amazon made no
> promises.

Interesting! My understand was that it was. We were using S3 for storage
before, and switched to HDFS, and saw similar performance on both for our
needs.. we're more CPU intensive than I/O intensive.

> Also, and this may be a stupid question, are you sure that you're using
> the same JVM in EC2 and development?  GCJ is much slower than Sun's JVM.

Yeah - our code actually requires Sun's Java6u5 JVM.. it won't run on gcj.
;)

| nate carlson | natecars@natecarlson.com | http://www.natecarlson.com |