From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@veoh.com>
Subject Re: Can Hadoop process pictures and videos?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:54:15 GMT

Yes you can.

One issue is typically that linux based video codecs are not as numberous as
windows based codecs so you may be a bit limited as to what kinds of video
you can process.

Also, most video processing and transcoding is embarrassingly parallel at
the file level with little need for map-reduce.  That may make hadoop less
useful than it might otherwise be.  On the other hand, hadoop does expose
URL's from which you can read file data so you might be just as happy using
that.