From Michael Bieniosek <mich...@powerset.com>
Subject Re: How often Name node fails?
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 00:16:06 GMT
>From my experience, the namenode almost never crashes.  It does use a lot of RAM, but not
nearly as much as it used to.  You might have problems if you have many many small files (maybe

I have had more problems with datanode failures, particularly when there is mapreduce-generated
load on the machines running the datanodes.

On 4/14/08 3:14 PM, "Cagdas Gerede" <cagdas.gerede@gmail.com> wrote:

>From your experience with Hadoop Distributed File System,
how reliable is the namenode? How often does it fail? Are there mechanisms
developed outside of Hadoop to make namenode more fault tolerant?

Thanks for your feedback,

Best Regards, Cagdas Evren Gerede
Home Page: http://cagdasgerede.info