From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hadoop and deprecation
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:05:02 GMT
Karl Wettin wrote:
> When is depricated methods removed from the API? At new every minor?

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap

Note the remark: "Prior to 1.0, minor releases follow the rules for
major releases, except they are still made every few months."

So, since we're still pre-1.0, we try to remove deprecated features in
the next minor release after they're deprecated.  We don't always manage
to do this.  Some deprecated features have survived a long time,
especially when they're widely used internally.

When deprecated code is removed the change is described in the
"incompatible" section of the release notes.

Doug