From Andreas Kostyrka <andr...@kostyrka.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop streaming performance problem
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 02:43:58 GMT
Beg you pardon, Python is a fast language, although simple operations
are usually quite more expensive then in lower level languages, but at
least when used by somebody who has enough experience, that doesn't
matter to much. Actually, in many practical cases, because of project
deadlines, C++ (and to a lesser part Java) implementations end up with
the more naive algorithms/designs, and get beaten by Python. In some
cases this gets even stronger when the Python guys cheat and implement
the inner loop stuff with Pyrex/Cython. (That's observation is not
limited to Python, it usually applies to all higher level languages.
OTOH, I've beaten C++ in a quite 1:1 development race, so I tend to
write Python.)

Andreas