From Michael Bieniosek <mich...@powerset.com>
Subject against documentation by JIRA
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:57:04 GMT
Hi,

I've noticed that, often, when someone asks about a new feature in hadoop,
they are referred to the relevant JIRA.

On several occasions I have tried to read JIRAs to figure out how a new
feature is supposed to work, and I almost always find myself more confused
than when I started.   The problem is that JIRA issues are essentially
discussions or arguments about how an issue should be designed and
implemented.  But as a user, I don't really care about the rejected designs,
failed tests, discussions about coding style, etc.  For example,
HADOOP-1298, the issue for dfs file permissions, spans 9 months and contains
over 200k of text.  I just want to know how I can use dfs permissions.

So, I ask hadoop developers, please document your features on the website,
not just on the JIRA!

Thanks,
Michael