From Matt Kent <m...@persai.com>
Subject runtime exceptions not killing job
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:14:47 GMT
I recently upgraded from Hadoop 0.14.1 to 0.16.1. Previously in 0.14.1,
if a map or reduce task threw a runtime exception such as an NPE, the
task, and ultimately the job, would fail in short order. I was running
on job on my local 0.16.1 cluster today, and when the reduce tasks
started throwing NPEs, the tasks just hung. Eventually they timed out
and were killed, but is this expected behavior in 0.16.1? I'd prefer the
job to fail quickly if NPEs are being thrown.

Matt

--
Matt Kent
Co-Founder