From Marc Harris <mhar...@jumptap.com>
Subject How can reducers start before the mappers have finished?
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 19:25:11 GMT
I noticed when reading http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HardwareBenchmarks
the following comment:

"I ran into some odd behavior on Herd2 where if i [ . . . ] the reducers
don't start until the mappers finish, slowing the job significantly."

This puzzled me. I don't see how reducers can ever start before the
mappers have finished. I thought that any given call to a reducer will
supply all the (key,value) pairs for a given value of the key. How can a
reducer start until all the different values for a key are known? And
thus how can a reducer start before all the mappers have finished?

- Marc