From "Sher Khan" <whym...@gmail.com>
Subject newbie question... please help.
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:37:35 GMT
hi brothers,
i am completely confused about the hadoop usage / deployment etc.

yes, i did read the documentation & other details on apach foundation site
yet i am a dumb a** n perhaps hence am still confused all the more.

pray allow me to explain my situation in detail.

i have different clusters of servers to perform www + application + database
+ storage functions @ my work.

the entire architecture is running on win2k3 enterprise server + mssql 2k5 +
asp.net 2.0 for the frontend.

i was wondering if i cud be in a position to use / deploy hadoop @ my
scenario & if i can how?

if i am not mistaken, hadoop is a distributed file system [similar to ntfs,
hpfs, fat32, etc. except for its far too advanced & is capable of storing
the data residing on it in "map/reduce" kind of architecture] & if i need to
use hadoop @ my location, i shall need to engineer my applications ground up
on php / java, mysql [or some other open source compliant db] & linux as my
o/s & storage system?

can some kind soul please help me understand the concept &/or guide me to a
better drafter reference resources please?

thanks in advance for the help bro's.