From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@veoh.com>
Subject Re: Question on DFS block placement and 'what is a rack' wrt DFS block placement
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:07:00 GMT

Fewer boxes may or may not be cheaper, else we would all be using massive
Suns.

The issue is what the right balance between disk I/O and CPU power is.  My
job mix tends to not benefit all that much from another CPU core in an
existing box, but does benefit substantially from having another spindle on
an independent controller and network interface.