From Colin Evans <co...@metaweb.com>
Subject Re: Question on DFS block placement and 'what is a rack' wrt DFS block placement
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:19:25 GMT
Because of acquiring servers of different capacities at different times,
we have 2 servers with 1TB of disk each, and 11 servers with ~300GB
each.  The 1TB servers tend to be under-utilized by HDFS given their
capacity.  This makes sense, as block replicas need to be relatively
evenly distributed across the cluster in order to allow tasks to be run
close to data.  For out next cluster, we're going with uniform disk,
CPU, and memory configurations.

The big question for me is how well a dual-CPU 4-core (8 cores per box)
configuration will do.  Has anyone tried out this configuration with
Intel or AMD CPUs?  Is the memory throughput sufficient?