From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop future?
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:40:53 GMT
Lukas Vlcek wrote:
> I think you have already heard rumours about Microsoft could buy Yahoo. Does
> anybody have any idea how this could impact specifically Hadoop future?

First, Hadoop is an Apache project.  Y! contributes to it, along with
others.  Apache projects are designed to be able to survive the
departure of any single contributor.

Second, while I know no more than you do about the acquisition, my guess
is that, it if goes through, it will not significantly increase the odds
that Y! will cease contributing to Hadoop anytime soon.  That's always
possible, and Hadoop would survive it, but I don't think it is likely.
Y! has deeply embraced Hadoop, and separating the two would be
counterproductive.  Y! is more valuable to MSFT with Hadoop than without it.

I do not speak for Y!.

Doug