From "Xavier Stevens" <Xavier.Stev...@fox.com>
Subject RE: bin/start-all.sh tries to log into ssh and asks for password
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:51:50 GMT
Setting up SSH keys is the way to go.  If you are looking for a good
tutorial I recommend the one on Michael Noll's site:

http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_(Single-
Node_Cluster)

-Xavier

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Kucinich [mailto:benkucinich@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:40 AM
To: core-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: bin/start-all.sh tries to log into ssh and asks for password

I was following this article at
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/GettingStartedWithHadoop word by word. I
could do everything till the section "Formatting the Namenode".

But in "Starting a Single node cluster", when I did, bin/start-all.sh,
it tries to log in to my own system using ssh and asks for password.
When I enter the password, it says JAVA_HOME not found.

How can I avoid this? One thing I could figure out is that if I supress
this password prompt by setting up ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, it can log in
and start the daemon. But is this a good solution. Any one else has
faced this problem and is there a better solution?