From Tim Wintle <tim.win...@teamrubber.com>
Subject Re: Yahoo's production webmap is now on Hadoop
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:46:00 GMT
If we're getting picky,

in *English*:
1 Billion = 10^12
1 Trillion = 10^18 (barely ever used)

in *American English*:
1 Billion = 10^9
1 Trillion = 10^12

Other countries use either, depending on where they were schooled.

This has always been a bit of a joke over here in the UK - I was always
taught to never believe statistics quoted by US companies because they
are likely to be 1000-1,000,000 times smaller than they say they are!

(or always ask for numbers in scientific form)

It gets worse when newspapers just quote numbers they are given, you
don't have a clue which of the two standards they are using.

Tim