From Marc Harris <mhar...@jumptap.com>
Subject Deleting hbase rows in a reduce
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:52:50 GMT
I notice from HADOOP-2508 and HADOOP-2611 that the problem of deleting
rows inside a reduce is already being considered, with an improvement
planned for 0.17, scheduled for release in April.

Is there any way to delete rows in a reduce in the meantime, using
functionality in 0.15.3?

Also, I was a little confused by the discussion in HADOOP-2611. There
was mention that BatchUpdate and RowMutation were essentially the same.
However I don't see what is the difference between either of them and
calling methods (put, delete, etc.) directly on HTable. Is it just that
there is a desire to use the same interface from within a MapReduce job
as from within an external client? What am I missing?

Thanks,
- Marc