From "Natarajan, Senthil" <sent...@pitt.edu>
Subject Datanode Problem
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:33:06 GMT
Hi,
I am new to Hadoop. I just downloaded release 0.14.4 (hadoop-0.14.4.tar.gz) and trying to
setup Hadoop on Single Machine (RedHat Linux 9) by following the link
http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_%28Single-Node_Cluster%29

Looks like datanode is not starting  seems, (I am seeing only namenode, jobtracker)

[hadoop@gis14 hadoop]$ /usr/local/hadoop/bin/start-all.sh
starting namenode, logging to /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-hadoop-namenode-gis14.out
/bin/bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
localhost: ssh: localhost: Name or service not known
/bin/bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
localhost: ssh: localhost: Name or service not known
starting jobtracker, logging to /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-hadoop-jobtracker-gis14.out
/bin/bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
localhost: ssh: localhost: Name or service not known

Then when I try to copy Local file to HDFS, I am getting this error.

[hadoop@gis14 hadoop]$ /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop dfs -ls
Found 0 items
[hadoop@gis14 hadoop]$ /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop dfs -copyFromLocal /tmp/guten gutenberg
copyFromLocal: java.io.IOException: Failed to create file /user/hadoop/gutenberg/7ldvc10.txt
on client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx because this cluster has no datanodes.
[hadoop@gis14 hadoop]$ /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop dfs -ls
Found 1 items
/user/hadoop/gutenberg  <dir>           2008-01-02 15:51
[hadoop@gis14 hadoop]$ /usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop dfs -ls gutenberg
Found 0 items

I couldn't find any log file corresponding to datanode. Could you please let me know what
might the problem.
Thanks,
Senthil