From Chad Walters <c...@powerset.com>
Subject Re: Hbase for dynamic web site?
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:55:38 GMT

Hbase does do a lot of small RPC and a very preliminary analysis has indicated that is an
area with some promise in terms of optimization. I don't expect Thrift to be a magic bullet
by any means but it is one of the things we are looking at. When we have some real numbers
to share, we'll send pass them along.

On 12/4/07 9:05 AM, "Doug Cutting" <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

Chad Walters wrote:
>  3.  More performance work: Michael did some performance measurements a while back that
seemed to indicate a lot of time spent back-and-forth in RPC. We're exploring Thrift as a
lighter-weight RPC mechanism, but there are probably other things to be done to reduce this
cost. More analysis and measurement would be helpful.

Hmmm.  Hadoop's RPC has its shortcomings, but I wouldn't call it
heavy-weight or low-performance.  And Thrift has advantages over Hadoop
RPC, but I have not heard that performance is a primary one.  So I would
not assume that replacing Hadoop RPC with Thrift would improve