From Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Re: Talking to HBase via tcp/socket
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:42:45 GMT
What's the motivation for using straight a straight TCP socket rather
than REST? The motivation behind producing a REST interface in the
first place is that since the client still lives in Java, then we get
to take advantage of all the built-in Java client work that's been
done. If you're looking for a more lightweight way to interact with
HBase (since REST can be a little heavy at times), then rather than
go the HQL route, I would suggest exploring building a Thrift servlet
that mimics the structure of the REST servlet. This is something
that's been discussed as a next step for HBase interoperability.

-Bryan