From Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Re: Talking to HBase via tcp/socket
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:43:54 GMT
Except, there is NO traditional interface for HBase. We have the
choice to build whatever interface we want.

I think the fundamental difference between Thrift/REST and an HQL
socket server would be the TYPE of the interface. Thrift/REST mostly
matches the existing underlying API (Thrift more so than REST), but
HQL requires us to develop and maintain a whole SQL-like syntax, and
to redefine our operations in terms of SQL, and figure out good ways
to manage bulk of data that can be returned, and it wouldn't even be
aligned with any known standard, so completely fresh client libraries
for every language. It just seems like a lot more effort for what
results in a more complex interface than we get with our other efforts.

View raw message