From Konstantin Shvachko <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: finalize upgrade
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:35:08 GMT
> Well, from the output it looks like that has been run. At least I
> cannot see any sign telling me I still need to run it ...still was  the
> previous directory on the name node.
>
>> The way it works in pre 0.16 is that you start the cluster, and issue:
>> hadoop dfsadmin -finalizeUpgrade
>
> I've just run that again. Now the 'previous' dir on the namenode is
> gone. But on the data nodes the 'previous' is still there.

That means finalizeUpgrade has not been run before or failed for some reason.

>> Now, if you still want to do it manually, then yes just remove
>> "previous"
>> dir on the name-node and then start the cluster.
>> Data-nodes will finalize automatically.
>
> Hmmm ...I cannot see that happening. Now what?

Finalizing on the data-nodes is very lazy.
During registrations and block reports the name-node will inform data-nodes
whether it has the previous state or not. If not the data-nodes will remove
their previous states.
On the running cluster a complete previous state removal can take up to one hour.

If you need to accelerate it - restart the cluster.
But it should be done by now. There's been 3 hours since you wrote this.