From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Error Nutchwax Search
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:35:38 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>
>> Ted Dunning wrote:
>>> Hadoop *normally* uses the Sun JDK.  Using gcj successfully would be
>>> a bit
>>> of a surprise.
>>
>> GCJ 4.2 does NOT work. With minor tweaks it's possible to compile all
>> Hadoop classes, including contrib, but it doesn't run properly. The
>> offending class is org.apache.hadoop.io.Text (CharacterEncoder works
>> differently from the Sun implementation, perhaps it's broken). This
>> class (Text) is widely used throughout Hadoop, so it won't work with
>> GCJ for now ...
>
> If anyone knows of specific problems or workarounds, it would be great
> to share them. I thought that gcj was still missing a lot of the the
> java 1.5 libraries...

AFAIK few GUI applications run successfully - AWT / Swing support is
still shaky, but most other APIs are in good shape.

> Actually, the piece I'd love to see working under gcj is the hdfs
> client. I bet gcj would perform better that using jni in libhdfs.

I tried to find some info about this bug in GCJ 4.3, perhaps it's fixed
(I don't know what input caused this error, but there was some work done
on CharacterEncoder since 4.2 release).

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><