From Kirk True <k...@mustardgrain.com>
Subject Appropriate use of Hadoop for non-map/reduce tasks?
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2007 02:46:58 GMT
Hi all,

A lot of the ideas I have for incorporating Hadoop into internal projects revolves around
distributing long-running tasks over multiple machines. I've been able to get a quick prototype
up in Hadoop for one of those projects and it seems to work pretty well.

However, in this project and the others, I'm not processing a lot of text or mapping or reducing
anything. I'm basically asynchronously processing a lot of work over many machines in a master/worker
paradigm rather than map/reduce.

I have shown that I can achieve what I'm looking for with Hadoop. I just can't get over the
"feeling" that I'm shoe-horning it into a use it wasn't really meant to do.

We've done a similar project with Gigaspaces, but Hadoop seems to alleviate a lot of the burden
of what we're doing moving forward.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Kirk