From "Sebastien Rainville" <srainvi...@brightspark.com>
Subject cluster startup problem
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:17:53 GMT
Hi,

I have a cluster made of only 2 PCs. The master acts also as a slave.
The cluster seems to start properly. It is functional (I can access the
dfs, monitor it with the web interfaces, no errors in the log files...)
but it reports that only 1 node is up. For some reason the datanode on
the slave doesn't start properly. The weirdest thing is that it is
actually listed in the running processes when I run the command 'jps'
and the log file for the datanode exist but is empty... Another weird
thing is that the file hadoop.log is empty on the master. So, I can't
find any debugging information. Also, I don't know what to think about
the tasktracker on the slave... the log file seems fine (reporting that
it is starting properly) but I can't open the admin page in a browser.

I have another question... what is required for a client application to
connect to the cluster? I thought that all I needed was a custom
hadoop-site.xml placed in the classpath but it doesn't work.

Thanks,

Sebastien