From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@veoh.com>
Subject Re: commodity vs. high perf machines: which would you rather
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:35:58 GMT

For me, I have three configurations available.

A) database class machine with many (>10) fast SAS drives and >10GB memory,
dual or quad x quad core cpu's.  Let's say that this costs about 20K$.

B) generic productiion machine with 2 x 250GB SATA drives, 4-12GB RAM, dual
x dual core CPU's (=Dell 1950).  Cost is about 2K$.

C) POS beige box machine with 2 x SATA drives of variable size, 4 GB RAM,
single dual core CPU.  Cost is about 1K$.

For a $50K budget, I would take 25x(b) over 50x(c) due to simpler and
smaller admin issues even though cost/performance would be nominally about
the same.  I would avoid 2x(a) like the plague.