From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@veoh.com>
Subject Re: commodity vs. high perf machines: which would you rather
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:20:20 GMT

My mileage computation came out essentially the same as what Doug says.

I use some cast-off machines that were not reliable enough for other
applications.  They originally cost us about 2/3 what our normal production
boxes cots and achieve almost exactly 1/2  as much.  Our production boxes
are typically dual CPU's with dual cores.

On 11/7/07 12:27 PM, "Doug Cutting" <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

>   So I'd hazard that moderately high-end commodity hardware is the most
> cost-effective for Hadoop today.  YMMV.

View raw message