From C G <parallel...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Hanging shell commands question, and strange delays in processing
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:38:19 GMT
Hi Dhruba:

  I'll run some tests in isolation and try to get these logs for you.  I saw a hang like this
last night in some testing and I decided to let it run.  About 3 hours later it finally completed...this
still seems out-of-spec.  I'll try to get some clean logs for you and send them along.

  Thanks,
  C G

dhruba Borthakur <dhruba@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
  Hi CG,

When the shell hangs, can you pl get the following:

1. The namenode log file
2. The namenode stack dump. This can be generated by running the command
"jstack ". You will typically find the jstack
utility in the same directory where the "java" binary is installed.

Thanks,
dhruba

1. Hanging shell commands: Our system is all script-driven. The
first thing our main driver does when it starts up is delete old
datasets in preparation for creating new ones. A command like this will
hang forever about 5% of the time:

bin/hadoop dfs -rmr /import/data/20071030