From "dhruba Borthakur" <dhr...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Hanging shell commands question, and strange delays in processing
Date Sun, 25 Nov 2007 01:10:58 GMT
Hi CG,

When the shell hangs, can you pl get the following:

1. The namenode log file
2. The namenode stack dump. This can be generated by running the command
"jstack <namenode_process_id>". You will typically find the jstack
utility in the same directory where the "java"  binary is installed.

Thanks,
dhruba

  1.  Hanging shell commands:  Our system is all script-driven.  The
first thing our main driver does when it starts up is delete old
datasets in preparation for creating new ones.  A command like this will
hang forever about 5% of the time:

              bin/hadoop dfs -rmr /import/data/20071030