From Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Potential stupid question about configuration files...
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:43:33 GMT
C G wrote:
> Just to make sure my head is on straight:  Each node in the grid reads its own configuration
file (hadoop-site.xml, hadoop-default.xml) and configures itself appropriately, correct?

>   I am asking because I have nodes with 2 different disk configurations.  For some I
want a single directory for dfs.data.dir, but for others I want a comma-separated list of
directories.

Yes. This is the intended behaviour.

However, you should be aware of HADOOP-1245 (scheduled for
hadoop-0.16.0) which fixes one important bug w.r.t configuring
TaskTrackers independently of the JobTracker.

>   Also, is it true that ALL nodes should indicate the master node with mapred.job.tracker
?

mapred.job.tracker is the JobTracker, so yes.

Of course you can have multiple map-reduce clusters with different
JobTrackers.

Arun