From "Bruce Williams" <williams.br...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Test Data for Hadoop Student
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2007 04:27:25 GMT
When I mentioned Creative Commons materials, I had the University of
Washington materials in mind.

Thank you for your response

Bruce Williams

-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Kimball [mailto:ak@cs.washington.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 6:21 PM
To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Test Data for Hadoop Student

Bruce,

I helped design and teach an undergrad course based on Hadoop last year.
Along with some folks at Google, we then made the resources available
together to distribute to other universities and the public at large
(via Creative Commons license, actually).

All the materials are available online here:
http://code.google.com/edu/content/parallel.html
(lecture notes, labs, and even video lectures.)

It includes suggested lab activities. Good free data sets you can
download include Netflix prize data and a copy of the wikipedia corpus.
Of course, you can set up Nutch and do your own web crawl too.

We also highly endorse the Amazon EC2 idea for doing your own labs :)

Best of luck,
- Aaron