From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "/tmp/hadoop-${user.name}" interpreted wrong when using Cygwin
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 20:31:43 GMT
Holger Stenzhorn wrote:
> I am using Hadoop under Cygwin with the default settings.
> So hence the "hadoop.tmp.dir" is set to "/tmp/hadoop-${user.name}" via
> the "hadoop-default.xml".
> Now when I start using Hadoop it creates a directory
> "c:\tmp\hadoop-holste" (as "holste" is my user name obviously).
> But shouldn't Hadoop rather create the directory "hadoop-holste" in the
> Cygwin "tmp" directory?

The Cygwin /tmp directory, as with the cygwin /usr, and /etc, are only
visible to Cygwin applications, like the shell and other C applications
compiled against the Cygwin library.  Java is not a Cygwin application,
so paths in Java are always relative to the Windows filesystem, not to
the synthetic paths that Cygwin uses.

Doug