From "Kareem Dana" <kareem.d...@gmail.com>
Subject How to compile basic HBase program
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:20:56 GMT
Are there any instructions for setting the classpath to correctly
compile your own simple hbase example program?

All I've written so far is a main class that loads up an hbase conf as
shown: HBaseConfiguration conf = new HBaseConfiguration();

When I try to compile with javac:
HBaseHelloWorld.java:2: package org.apache.hadoop does not exist
import org.apache.hadoop.hbase;
                         ^
HBaseHelloWorld.java:9: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class HBaseConfiguration
location: class HBaseHelloWorld
        HBaseConfiguration conf = new HBaseConfiguration();
        ^
HBaseHelloWorld.java:9: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class HBaseConfiguration
location: class HBaseHelloWorld
        HBaseConfiguration conf = new HBaseConfiguration();
                                      ^
3 errors

What directories should be in my classpath and what packages should I
import? I really just want access to HBaseConfiguration, HBaseAdmin,
and HTable. I tried to import org.apache.hadoop.hbase and
org.apache.hadoop. I set my classpath to ${HADOOP_HOME}/build/classes
and ${HADOOP_HOME}/build/contrib/hbase/classes. I am also trying to
compile my "hello world" program outside of the hadoop source tree.

- Kareem