From C G <parallel...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NameNode HA
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2007 04:06:51 GMT
We are rolling out a production grid with 32 compute nodes.  The current plan is to try to
avoid catastrophic namenode failures by:

  1.  Running DRBD and mirror to another machine

  2.  Use namenode multiple volumes to replicate the name space image and edit logs to yet
another machine (see http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/FAQ#15).

  I'm also considering using filesystem snapshotting as well.  The above solutions presume
that the mode of failure is hardware rather than software.  A regular snapshot would be useful
is something bad happened within the Hadoop framework itself and something scribbled all over
the namenode's data.

  As we get DRBD deployed and get to production I'll post more about our experiences.

  HTH,
  C G

Erich Nachbar <erich@carrieriq.com> wrote:
  Did anyone try DRBD (http://www.drbd.org/) for mirroring the fsimage
and editlogs to another machine?

Another idea which would involve code changes is to go to something
like Terracotta (http://www.terracottatech.com/) essentially allowing
multiple machines simultaneously to play the role of a namenode. I
only played around with their samples, but if it works as advertised
it could be a nice way to spread the load and achieve HA.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with DRDB or Terracotta. Just in need of an
(ideally automatic) failover solution to protect my weekends.