From jonathan doklovic <jdoklo...@ibsys.com>
Subject Starting remote jobs
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:56:24 GMT
Hi,

This may be a silly question, but is there a way via java to start a job
remotely?

What I mean is, I write a map/reduce (with the jobclient), jar it up,
and deploy it to my cluster.  I know I can log into the master node and
start the job on the command line, but I want to kick it off from java.

A use case would be:
Some non-hadoop java app runs, collects some data and saves it in a new
folder on the hadoop cluster. Once the save is complete, the app should
tell hadoop to run a job that's already on the cluster passing it the
path to the new folder and exit.

The job in the jar uses a jobclient that chains together more jobs.

Thanks,

- Jonathan