From "Mike Perkowitz" <m...@trailfire.com>
Subject Hbase for dynamic web site?
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:46:40 GMT

Hello! We have a web site currently built on linux/apache/mysql/php. Most
pages do some mysql queries and then stuff the results into php/html
templates. We've been hitting the limits of what our database can handle,
and what we can do in realtime for the site. Our plan is to move our data
over to Hbase, precomputing as much as we can (some queries we currently do
with joins in mysql, for example). Our pages would then be pulling rows from
Hbase to stuff into templates.

We're still working on getting Hbase working with the amount of data we want
to be able to handle, so haven't yet been able to test it for performance.
Is anyone else using Hbase in this way, and what has been your experience
with realtime performance? I haven't really seen examples of people using
Hbase this way - another approach would be for us to use
Hadoop/Hbase/mapreduce for computation then put results back into mysql or
whatever for realtime access. Any experience or suggestions would be
appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike