From Michael Bieniosek <mich...@powerset.com>
Subject jdk6 on darwin (was: 14.1 to 14.2)
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:34:35 GMT
Does anybody know if there is a jdk6 available for Mac?  I checked the apple developer site,
and there doesn't seem to be one available, despite blogs from last year claiming apple was
distributing it.

Since I do my development work on a Mac, switching to jdk6 would be very difficult for me
if I can't find a darwin jdk6.  I need to be able to build job jars and patch hadoop.

-Michael

On 10/12/07 10:12 AM, "Doug Cutting" <cutting@apache.org> wrote:

Owen O'Malley wrote:
> That is a mistake of some sort. It was _not_ intended. I assume you are
> using the release tarball off of the website? It might have been
> compiled with java 1.6 instead of 1.5.

Yes, it seems I built the 0.14.2 release using 1.6 by accident.  Sorry!
  If this is a blocker for folks, please file an issue in Jira and I
will make a 0.14.3 tarball that's compiled with Java 1.5 instead.

> I believe the QA framework runs
> the unit tests under 1.5 to ensure that we don't break 1.5 compatibility
> accidently.

Yes, that is the case.  Hudson uses Java 1.5.

> I do think it is worth changing the requirement up to java 1.6, but of
> course not as a patch release. *smile* (The performance of socket
> polling is much much better under 1.6.) I would not recommend running
> Hadoop under java 1.5 unless you don't have a choice.

Can you please file an issue in Jira for this?  Then folks can weigh in
there.

Doug