From "kate rhodes" <masuk...@gmail.com>
Subject Dynamo: Amazon’s Highly Available Key-value Store
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:59:26 GMT
Just posting a link to this paper because I hadn't seen it mentioned
here and thought you guys would find it interesting.

http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2007/10/amazons_dynamo.htm

"Dynamo is internal technology developed at Amazon to address the need
for an incrementally scalable, highly-available key-value storage
system. The technology is designed to give its users the ability to
trade-off cost, consistency, durability and performance, while
maintaining high-availability.
We submitted the technology for publication in SOSP because many of
the techniques used in Dynamo originate in the operating systems and
distributed systems research of the past years; DHTs, consistent
hashing, versioning, vector clocks, quorum, anti-entropy based
recovery, etc. As far as I know Dynamo is the first production system
to use the synthesis of all these techniques, and there are quite a
few lessons learned from doing so. The paper is mainly about these
lessons."

--
- kate = masukomi
http://weblog.masukomi.org/