From "Toby DiPasquale" <codeslin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Announcing release of Kosmos Filesystem (KFS)
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:08:38 GMT
On 10/1/07, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
> Hi Sriram,
>
> seeing how this is the hadoop user list, I would be particularly
> interested in knowing what differentiates KFS from Hadoop.
>
> for example how would I be better off using KFS (as opposed to hadoop)
> for my web search app, or what does it do better than hadoop (and what
> does it do worse?)
>
> what is the fundamental difference between KFS and hadoop such that 2
> seperate projects are required?

Looks like the big differences are that KFS is a more complete clone of GFS:

* KFS supports atomic append, Hadoop does not
* KFS supports rebalancing, Hadoop does not
* KFS exports a POSIX file interface, Hadoop does not (GFS does not, either)

Frankly, I find the competition good for Hadoop. However, KFS is not
really attractive until they have a MapReduce-alike. You have to be
able to do something with all that data, after all ;-) Maybe KFS can
be integrated with Hadoop's MapReduce to make up for the current lack
of such from Kosmix?

--
Toby DiPasquale