From "dhruba Borthakur" <dhr...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Simulated Nodes
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2007 07:08:17 GMT
I have done this earlier by starting more than one Datanode on the same
machine manually. Each instance of the Datanode has to have its own
configuration directory. In the configuration,  the names of the
dfs.data.dir have to be different from one another.

Thanks,
dhruba

-----Original Message-----
From: Lance Amundsen [mailto:lca13@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2007 11:21 PM
To: hadoop-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Simulated Nodes

How can I get more "real", but simulated Hadoop nodes for testing,
without
more machines?  Can I add duplicate names in the slaves file?  Or do I
need
separate IP's for everything?

This is just for testing purposes.  Ideally, I'd like to simulate a few
nodes on my Windows laptop, to make it easier to debug actual
distributed
stuff.

Maybe if I am clever with Cygwin, I could get several sessions
communicating with each other using virtual IP's, albeit all through
localhost.  But would I have issues with a single hadoop directory
structure if I did this?