From Jonathan Hendler <hendler...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Very new at hadoop - few questions
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:57:23 GMT
Hi Sukalyan,

Have you been to the website and read documentation at
http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/?

More below:

Sukalyan Banga wrote:
> Hi!
> I am PHP Developer & Linux Administrator.
>
> I am very new at hadoop & I have some questions.
>
> 1. Is hadoop only configuration based Administration like Linux
> Administration with scripting requirement
> or fully programming required.

Hadoop requires both system administration and programming.

> 2. If programming required then which language required to know.

Java works best.
> 3. Can I use PHP with hadoop.

Yes and no. Hadoop is best with Java, but Java provides environments or
interfaces for PHP (Quercus), Python (Jython etc), and C++ through JNI,
and more.

> 4. Is there any good howtos or Manual to work with hadoop.

Lot's of documentation online
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/
Faq = http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/FAQ

> 5. What is the main difference with normal clustering techniques.

The documentation covers some of this, but you might also look at
wikipedia article on MapReduce to get started.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MapReduce